Riker's Mailbox

Tuesday, June 22, 2004

PERSPICUITY

Several of my close friends have decided to return to an old tradition of ours: we devote one night a week to spend together, as a means to keep ourselves entertained. In effect it strenghthened the group and bolstered our friendships. We stopped after a long string of drama and interpersonal quarrel, but those who affected those difficult times are no longer in our collective sphere of influence. Yet, the Tuesday Night ritual remained dormant.

Finally it's coming back, and I must say I had a little apprehension about the idea. Part of me said, "It won't be the same". But then rationale kicked in: "It shouldn't be the same".

So many of my nights have been spent pining over fantastic memories, that they are just memories and no longer tangible... but that's the thing about melancholy. The best you can get from it is a desire to feel that way again, and the only way to do that is to create new memories.

Of course it's easier said than done, I know, as one cannot "plan" a truly great night -- one of those holy moments that come from the proper combination of energy and spirit -- with much better than a 1 out of ten success rate. They have to be inspired by something beautiful. Luck is, unfortunately, requisite as well, but hell, I've been a part of so many of such nights in the past; there's nothing to suggest that they will stop happening in my life. That's especially true now that I have such a motivation to be a part of that process again.

No comments:

Post a Comment